Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Making changes

I spent several days during the holiday clearing surface clutter in our rooms. I did okay, but there's still room for improvement. The closets are full, I've got boxes to weed through and the dressers are packed. I'm donating the little boys old car seats and clothes to the day care. I hope to go through all that Friday.

I want to try to put organization into our lives. I need to simplify. We have too much crap hiding the things that are important. It will take time, but I will make every attempt to get it all done. I just wish I had the space that we really need to lay it all out at once like they do on those organizing shows.

But the hardest thing in our year of change is getting the boys to listen to me. Too many times they argue with me about even the littlest things. Like tonight - Andrew kept asking me to move his stuffed animals - here, there on the floor, at the foot of the bed, etc. I am starting to put my foot down on all this bossiness all the males in my family have imposed on me. I am not a slave, but sometimes feel like one. The limits need to be set more firmly in place and they all need to learn that they are not helpless!


I have to start gradually and am starting with the twins trying to make them listen and follow through. It's hard - they cry and scream. Andrew is still crying as I type this over those stuffed animals. It will be a slow process, but they need to learn to go to bed on time, get up and go to school without a fight or threats or spankings!

Change is good, right? It's a process and we'll get there eventually. I guess I better go calm my youngest down now....

No comments: